ABOUT THE PARISH
Where is the parish of Hampton-in-Arden?
The parish of Hampton-in-Arden covers an area that includes the village of Hampton-in-Arden and part of the village of Catherine-de-Barnes. The parish is broadly bounded by the A45 and A456 trunk roads to the north, by a tributary of the river Blythe to the east, by another tributary of the Blythe to the south and by the Grand Union canal, Hampton Coppice and the M42 motorway to the west.
Hampton has been a settlement since Saxon times and is mentioned in the Doomsday book of 1086. It was an important settlement in the original Forest of Arden and was on the salt route from Droitwich to Coventry. The Charity of George Fentham, set up in 1698 and managed by successive generations of trustees has had a significant impact on the village ensuring a range of excellent facilities through generous financial support.
The village of Hampton-in-Arden derives its special character from its rural setting and its historic roots, central to which is its parish church, sited on a hill-top and its collection of historical buildings many of which sit in the village's conservation area.
The publication of a Village Design Statement described the qualities and features of Hampton-in-Arden and acts as a point of reference to ensure that local knowledge of the village's character can be taken account of when changes to the village's landscape are proposed.
The village has a range of facilities for parishioners including a primary school with nursery unit, a library, doctors' surgery, a number of shops including a post office and chemist together with excellent sporting and recreational facilities. There are rail links and a bus service including access to "ring and ride".
What powers do Parish Councils have?
Parish councils have a range of legislative formal powers, such as providing play areas, village greens and allotments. But they can also monitor the services provided by the first tier of local government, Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council and influence the provision of services locally by such strategies as commenting on priorities set in Solihull Council's Ward Action Plan.
Parish councils should also demonstrate that they have proven communication channels with parishioners through the provision of web sites, village newsletters, noticeboards and parish council "surgeries etc. It is also recommended that parish council's write a Parish Plan setting out its own priorities for serving its community.
Who makes up the Parish Council and what do they do?
Hampton-in-Arden's parish council consists of a paid clerk and a team of seven elected councillors who serve for a term of four years.
The council carries out the following duties:-
- Owns and maintains the recreation ground and village green
- Owns and maintains the Common at Catherine-de-Barnes
- Rents land to provide allotments at Fentham Road
- Contributes to maintenance of the churchyard
- Considers and where appropriate comments on planning applications within the parish
- Provides and maintains bus shelters, seating and litter bins
- Liaises with Solihull MBC and other partners to improve the village environment and services
Who pays for the Parish Council?
Each year the parish council considers its need to set a budget, by considering its commitment to provide services to the local community and raises its funds through a "precept". This money is collected from all households within the parish along with council tax. Parishioners are able to raise queries on the budget and any other issues of concern at the Annual Meeting with parishioners or directly with the council.
How is the Parish Council regulated?
Councillors are governed by a National Code of Conduct, monitored by the Standards Board. The parish council also has its own Terms of Reference and Standing Orders agreed by the parish council and reviewed each year.
Further details can be obtained from the parish clerk.